Saturday, December 03, 2005

the konfabulator

A coworker sent me a link to something called the konfabultor yesterday. Being the mindless drone that I am, I followed the link.

Turns out this konfabultor thing is pretty cool. First, it's made by Yahoo! and isn't spyware. Second, it is a small shell-like application that sits in your System Tray that runs 'widgets'. These widgets are like little applets that run different little utilities and programs. The cool thing about konfabulator is that it runs on XML and Javascript, so you can write your own 'widgets' and use them within the konfabulator shell. There is also documentation provided by the konfabulator team to show you how to create your own.

There are lots and lots of widgets made by other konfabulators, so you might not have to lift a finger. On the other hand, if you like to mess around with things, you can probably find a widget that is close to what you want, then you can customize it for yourself. I customized a widget designed to retrieve headlines via RSS from BBC Technology so that it would retrieve headlines from the CBC.

You can download my CBC TopStories RRS widget here. My web space provider won't allow the .widget file extension, so just save the .zip file to your widget folder, and rename it with the .widget extension (e.g. CBC TopStories RSS.widget).

Here is what my widget looks like when it's running:








I know it doesn't look like much, but once you see some of the features built into it by konfabulator, you might change your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment