Sunday, February 18, 2007

ldraw

Of all the tools I have found for experimenting with Lego, the CAD program MLCad is the most fun to use. MLCad, based on the original LDraw program, allows you to build models in a virtual environment. The parts list includes almost every part imaginable, and new parts are being added all the time. The image you see to the right is a partially-drawn model of Lego Technic Set #854. I received this set as a child, and only recently pulled it out again to build it. I found that I was missing some parts, and trying to sort out which parts were gone was beginning to drive me a bit nuts. Then an idea occurred to me: If I built the model in MLCad, not only would I have some great pictures of the model in process, but would also have a complete list of parts I could compare to the actual parts I have. Yes I could go through the instructions and figure out what parts are needed, but that would not be anywhere near as much fun or geeky.

No comments:

Post a Comment