Monday, January 19, 2009

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Today we honour a great man in history, Martin Luther King, Jr.

Well that's not entirely true. Being Canadian, we don't observe the holiday. Personally, I think we should, but seeing as alot of Americans don't bother to observe Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, how can Canadians possibly get on board.

I work for an American-based IT outsourcing company, who does not observe the holiday. I think this is shameful. Martin Luther King, Jr. is the kind of man who has appeared more than once throughout recorded history (the biggie being, oh, Jesus Christ) and still we don't stop to honour his memory.

People I know in the U.S. have suggested to me that only Blacks observe the holiday. I was dumbfounded, for two reasons. First, I could not believe what I had just heard. Being Canadian, and well educated, working in a highly diversified environment, I just don't hear racial comments like that. Secondly, I had to suppose there was an element of truth in the statement, which also left me agape.


I am sure I have more to say about this but I had better leave this topic for now. I am feeling rather ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment